Do you always feel like grabbing a snooze after lunch? These simple tips will help you stay at your sharpest even after your meal.
Why do you feel tired after lunch?
There could be a variety of factors causing you to feel sleepy after lunch:
- What you eat plays an important part in deciding your energy levels. While some foods can boost your energy, others can zap it out. Junk food, sugary food or fatty food will make you feel lethargic and sleepy. These foods increase your blood sugar causing your body to release more insulin. This in turn triggers tryptophan, a kind of amino acid, known for its role in producing brain messengers or neurotransmitters related to sleep and relaxation.
- Have you been getting adequate rest? It may seem obvious but if you’ve been having stressful and sleepless nights, you’re bound to feel sleepy during the day. Try getting at least 6 -7 hours of sleep every day.
- If you have been eating healthy and are getting adequate sleep, you could be suffering from an illness. Sometimes, low fitness levels or some underlying disease could be responsible for draining you out. Your doctor should be able to detect this easily.
Tips to feel energetic after lunch
- Watch what you eat: Junk food is a strict no no. Stick to a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. In simple terms, it means potatoes, white rice and pasta are out and sprouts, beans and cabbage are in. Keep your meal portions small as large meals require more effort to digest.
- Save the alcohol for the weekend: Even if it’s an office party and you can have a glass of wine or beer, if you are expected to get back and work, it’s preferable to stay off the alcohol.
- Take a little walk after lunch: Walk off your drowsiness by taking in some fresh air. Apart from getting rid of your lethargy, it’s a good way to include some activity in your daily schedule. Especially if your job involves sitting in one place.
- Minimise your caffeine intake: I know coffee seems like a great perk-me-up, but the more coffee you consume, the more immune you get to its effects. Switch to water. Many people don’t feel thirsty in an air conditioned office and end up dehydrating their bodies.
- Make sure you have breakfast: One cannot stress enough, the importance of having breakfast. Studies show that people who have a healthy breakfast are mentally and physically more active than those who skip it.
It may be hard to believe that such simple changes in your lifestyle can magnify your energy levels drastically. Don’t believe us? Try them out and let us know!
You may also like:
- Why are you feeling tired all the time?
- Tips to boost your stamina
- Top ten ways to improve your energy
Photograph by normalityrelief via Creative Commons