Natural Hair ConditionersReading Mode
Ditch those expensive, chemical-based over-the-counter hair conditioners and whip up your very own customised hair moisturiser to make your locks lustrous – naturally!
Hair conditioners help smoothen unruly hair and make them look neat and silky. They are usually applied on the lower half of the hair strands.
Although the market is flooded with options, we know they are loaded with chemicals. When you can achieve the same effect by using natural ingredients available in your home, why buy those expensive products?
Here are some do-it-yourself hair conditioning treatments:
Homemade hair mask:
1. Egg mask: Courtesy, its high protein content, egg masks work best for damaged and dry hair.
- Mix one whole egg with one tablespoon of water or baby oil and work through your hair.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and use a mild shampoo afterwards to get rid of the eggy smell.
2. Avocado mask: Say hello to super silky hair with this one…
- Put a pitted avocado, one tablespoon honey and two tablespoons baby or olive oil in a blender. Make a smoothy.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse and shampoo.
3. Banana mask: Go bananas to get that ultra-soft and mushy hair. If you find avocado a little too exotic and hard to procure, banana is the one for you.
- Mix a mashed banana with half-teaspoon of almond oil and some milk.
- Apply on your hair and wash thoroughly after 15 minutes and there you are.
4. Mayonnaise mask: Your favourite mayo is a pure delight not only in your sandwiches but for your hair too.
- Apply a cup of mayonnaise on your damp hair and wrap your head with a semi-hot towel.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and shampoo it as usual. You can even swap mayo with yogurt to get a similar effect.
Home-made hair rinsers:
Create a great rinse to achieve sheen and lustre in your hair.
1. Mix together a teaspoon each of castor oil, glycerine, and malt vinegar. The castor oil pumps up your hair’s body, the vinegar balances the pH, and glycerine adds moisture. Apply the mixture to your hair before you shampoo and leave in for at least 20 minutes.
2. Brew some tea leaves in a cup of water. Strain and cool. Rinse your hair directly with this concoction after shampooing.
3. Beers not only add amazing shine to all hair type but they add ample moisture too. Use a flat beer (without carbonation or bubbles). For intense shine and body, use the beer after shampooing and rinse properly to save yourself from becoming a mobile beer bar.
Oiling your hair:
Olive oil: The age-old hot oil massage cannot be substituted by anything. Olive oil is considered the best for doing so. Massage the scalp and slather the locks with lukewarm oil. Leave it overnight and let the oil seep into the roots for a deep conditioning effect.
Photograph via sxc.hu
You may also like: