Top 10 – Health tips for city womenReading Mode
Whether you’re studying or working or just hanging out, city life can take a toll on your health. Here are some easy ways to stay fit and healthy.
Ladies! This one's for you. For all of you living the city life, here's how you can stay fit and healthy and not let the toll of everyday life get to you.
Top 10 health tips for city women
1. Exercise – From auto rickshaws who’ll take you anywhere to shops and restaurants that’ll deliver anything, it’s almost like cities are designed to make a person inactive. Plus, it’s really easy to just spend all your time in the daily chores of life. That’s why it’s important to make exercising a priority and take an hour out at least 5 times a week for a workout. Exercising not only keeps you in shape, but it also releases pheromones, which are known to have a positive effect on your mood.
2. Take time out for yourself – From your taskmaster of a boss to your Bollywood-esque romance, and your hectic social life to that to-do list that never gets fully ticked, we get that your life is busy! But don’t just spend all your time doing things for others. Make sure you take some time everyday for yourself. Paint, cook or just meditate – just remember to make yourself a priority.
3. Health check-ups – Typically, in India we don’t take periodic health checks seriously. It’s important to realise that one visit a year the doctor can prevent so many visits in the future. This is especially true for women over 30. Speak to your doctor about getting a mammogram, Pap smear and bone density check right now and you’ll be ensuring many years of health in the future
4. Sleep – There is no doubt that a productive day is dependent on the quality of sleep you’ve had. Make sure you get the hours of sleep your body needs.
If you’re having trouble sleep, read this for tips on how to improve your quality of sleep.
5. Stay hydrated – One thing that often gets missed out in the hustle-bustle of city life is good old water! Carry a bottle with you and try and get at least 2 litres a day. Fresh lime-water or herbal teas are also good substitutes, but avoid sugary aerated drinks.
Stay hydrated this summer with these handy tips.
6. Eat well and regularly – You’re working late, you’re hungry and crabby, the samosa guy comes along and you decide to have one. Heck, you’ve been working hard, you deserve it. No, you don’t! Your body deserves much better than a stale, oily samosa. Make eating regular meals a priority in your life. It’ll help you stay healthy and looking slim. Good food with a balance of nutrients also helps to keep your skin glowing and hair shiny. It’s a win-win all the way.
7. Plan – Women tend to balance many balls in the air on any given day. And this can lead to a lot of stress – one of the biggest causes of many diseases today. One tip to staying stress-free is to plan things in advance. Writing things down will allow you to take only an amount you can handle. Also, don’t try to be a superwoman and delegate whenever possible.
Read about the RESTED method of reducing stress
8. Look after your skin – India tends to be hot and dusty. This coupled with the rising levels of pollution in the city can take quite a toll on our skin. Find skincare products that suit you and a regimen that you can follow with ease. At the very least, make sure you wash your face at least twice a day. This should be followed even if you’ve been at home all day. Also, don’t forget that all-important sunscreen.
A dermatologist gives simple tips for glowing skin. Watch video.
9. Be responsible for your own sexual health – Whether you’re in a long-term relationship or dating sporadically, you have to be responsible for your own health and safety. Don’t leave anything to chance and find a contraceptive that works for you. Remember, STIs are very real and can happen to anyone, so make sure you indulge in safe sex using a condom.
10. Stay happy – Mental well-being is as important as physical health. Chat with your girlfriends, go on a vacation or indulge in some retail therapy – make sure you do something that makes you happy!
You may also like: