You can improve your immunityReading Mode
A strong immune system cannot be discounted. Here are a few tips that will make sure your body is well-equipped to combat diseases.
Immunity is an individual’s ability to combat diseases and infections. It is determined by how well the individual’s defence system fights against disease-causing agents. The immune system requires a synchronization and balance in order to function properly.
We are exposed to various kinds of pollution, stress, new strains of ‘superbugs’, etc.. These frequently tax and threaten our immune system. People with a weak immune system are more likely to frequently fall prey to flu, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) or common cold.
The invading pathogens can be easily defeated by a healthy immune system.
How to boost your immune system:
Like an army, the immune system’s soldiers fights against the invaders. Their prime objective is to safeguard the health and well-being of an individual. The warriors of the immune system require good food, and regular nourishment to effectively carry out their duties.
Adopt a healthy lifestyle:
A healthy lifestyle is crucial for a sound immune system.
- Avoid smoking
- Eat a balanced diet, consisting of fresh fruits and veggies
- Exercise regularly
- Control your blood pressure
- Cope better with life’s daily stresses by using techniques such as meditation
- Limit your alcohol intake
- Get adequate sleep
- Get a complete medical evaluation every six months
Choose over-the-counter products with care:
Nowadays, there are umpteen products that promise immunity boosters. Most of them fail to fulfil their much hyped claims. Why buy any of those over-the-counter products when healthy eating habits, adequate rest and exercise can do the trick. If you want to supplement that with a product available in the market, choose one with care.
Don’t undermine a healthy diet:
A balanced diet is imperative for maintaining a strong immune system. You must eat nutritious food to be healthy from inside. Here are some foods that can help boost immunity:
- Fruits like guavas, papaya, strawberries and oranges that contain Vitamin C
- Seeds, vegetable oils and grains that contain Vitamin E. This can be further augmented by Vitamin E supplements
- Carrots, spinach, tomatoes and palm oil containing carotenoids
- Fruits like apricots, cherries, lemons and oranges; tea; and vegetables like broccoli and brinjal and whole wheat are rich in bioflavonoids
- Cereals fortified with zinc
- Omega-3 fatty acids
Make sure you nurture your body as well as your mind. Spend time with those who are fun to be around. Take time out for yourself. Get a massage, take a walk in the park, just lie on your bed and focus on your breathing or just take a hot shower.
A positive attitude:
Inner happiness is experienced when there is acceptance and love for the self. And this is known to have an impact on your outlook towards life. When you’re happy inside, you’re likely to be healthy.
Photograph via sxc.hu